Just like the perfect hat makes an outfit, the perfect roof enhances your home’s aesthetic character. It’s the stunning clay tile atop the Mediterranean villa. The cedar shake shingles adorning the Cape Cod home. The sleek-surfaced roof of a mid-century modern. Your roof is more than just a protective layer. It sets the stage for your property’s curb appeal and can make or break first impressions. If you’ve ever considered how roofing replacement services might affect your home’s exterior charm, you’re in the right place! At Standard Roofing & Restoration, we are Milwaukee’s experts in roofing replacement services and can guide you through the basics of boosting your curb appeal with a new roof.
Understanding Your Home’s Architectural Style
Every house has an inherent architectural design, whether it’s Colonial, Victorian, Modern, Mediterranean, or something else. Certain roof styles naturally align with these designs. For example:
- Asphalt shingles – A versatile roofing material that comes in numerous cuts and colors, asphalt shingles can suit almost any home. You can rarely go wrong with this classic look.
- Wood shakes – These offer a rustic, natural look that are ideal for Cape Cod, Colonial, or other traditional-style homes.
- Metal roofs – Increasingly popular, metal roofs suit barndominiums, contemporary homes and even older homes like bungalows or cabins.
- Tiles – Perfect for Mediterranean, Mission, Southwestern, or Spanish-style homes, they come in classic clay colors and more vibrant hues like cobalt blue.
- Built-Up Roofs – Consisting of multiple layers of asphalt applied between roofing sheets, these roofs are well-suited for homes with flat or low-sloped roofs.
A roof should harmoniously integrate with your home’s overall aesthetic. Also consider colors that blend with your home’s exterior and features. If possible, view material samples in various lighting conditions before finalizing your choice.
Reflecting on Maintenance and Longevity
No matter how much you appreciate the style, you must also be comfortable with the upkeep and lifespan of the roof you ultimately choose. Each material has its unique set of characteristics that influence its lifespan and the care it requires. For example:
- Asphalt shingles – Relatively low maintenance. Typically last 15-30 years.
- Wood shakes – Require more effort to prevent mold, mildew, and rot. With proper care, wood roofs can last 20-40 years.
- Metal roofs – Relatively low maintenance. A well-installed metal roof can last 40-70 years, depending on the metal type.
- Clay or concrete tiles – While the tiles themselves require minimal maintenance, the underlayment—the layer beneath the tiles—might need replacement or repair every 8-20 years. Tiles are durable and can last anywhere from 50 to 100 years or more.
- Slate – Low maintenance but can be fragile when walked upon. A high-quality slate roof can last over a century, sometimes even 150 years, making it a long-term investment.
- Flat Roofs (using materials like EPDM, TPO, PVC) – Debris collection is common with flat roofs, so regular cleaning is necessary. Flat roofs typically last 20-25 years.
Make sure you select a style that fits both your aesthetic and your ability to properly maintain it.
Considering Your Roof Replacement Budget
While it’s essential to choose a style that matches your home, it’s equally critical to ensure it aligns with your budget. Some materials and styles can be more expensive due to complex installation processes or higher material costs.
The most expensive roofing materials are often those that are the most durable, elegant, and labor-intensive to install. Among the priciest options is slate, which is prized for its natural beauty, incredible longevity, fire resistance, and eco-friendly qualities. Moreover, installing slate requires skilled craftsmen, as it’s a delicate and heavy material that can break if not handled properly. The upshot is that it can last over 100 years, sometimes up to 150 years if well-maintained.
On the other end of the spectrum are asphalt shingles, which are easily the most cost-effective of the options. The materials involved are relatively cheap, and the manufacturing process is straightforward. Moreover, installation is easier and quicker than with many other roofing materials, which means labor costs are typically lower. But they last only about 15-30 years.
Consulting with Professionals about Roofing Replacement Services
Roofing professionals, like us at Standard Roofing & Restoration, bring a wealth of knowledge and experience. They can provide insights into what styles are trending, what might work best for your local conditions, and can offer visual tools or portfolios to help you visualize the final look.
If you’re in Milwaukee and are considering boosting your home’s curb appeal with roof replacement services, give us a call. We will gladly provide you expert advice, a free estimate and a promise to transform your home with unmatched roofing replacement services. Your dream home’s crown is just a call away.